Tuesday 22nd August
Thames River Cruise aboard the Thames Luxury Charters MV "Edwardian"
We are delighted to announce what we are sure will be a lovely summer event for current members of FOSKD, an early evening river cruise on the Thames on board the the "Edwardian" on Tuesday 22nd August departing FROM (and returning to) St Katharine's Pier. The epitome of British style, The Edwardian, now owned by Thames Luxury Charters, was built in 1985 by Sir Richard Branson. In 2015 she underwent an extensive refurbishment and we are most grateful to FOSKD members Chris & Belinda Livett, the owners of Thames Luxury Charters, for kindly sponsoring this event. The cruise will take us under Tower Bridge and up river, taking in the great landmarks of the City skyline whilst enjoying a drinks and canapés reception.
Enjoy an evening cruise on this beautiful boat which featured in the Queen's Diamond Jubilee River Pageant and has appeared in many films and television programmes. The cruise will include a drinks and canapés reception. Booking details will be circulated to members soon.
Friday 8th - Sunday 10th September
The Classic Boat Festival returns to the Docks
The Classic Boat Festival will take place from 8th - 10th September in St Katharine Docks. This event is one of the highlights of the Totally Thames Festival, a month-long season of river-related events taking place along the 42-mile London stretch of the Thames.
There will be a breakfast on Sunday 10th from 09.00 – 11.00 hosted by St Katharine Docks Marina team for up to 40 members of FOSKD (who register for places in advance), together with owners of the vessels taking part in the Festival. A booking form will be circulated to FOSKD members shortly. FOSKD members will have the opportunity to go on board some of the participating vessels before the pontoons are open to the public at 12 noon.
Key vessels include 14 of the Dunkirk Little Ships, former London Fire Brigade fireboat the Massey Shaw, the Queen's Royal Rowbarge Gloriana in celebration of her Diamond Jubilee, and Portwey, the only twin screw, coal fired steam tug that remains active in the United Kingdom.
There will also be nautical stalls and street food and drink stands, waterside activities including free Stand-up Paddle Boarding and Canoe taster sessions in the marina and children's activities from the team at Sharky & George including an Explorer Treasure Quest, Pirate Sword Decorating and Flag Decorating.
There will be a variety of live music with the National Youth Jazz Orchestra performing on Sunday afternoon and Barnet Hill Life Boat Crew sea shanty singers providing entertainment throughout the weekend.
This year the Docks will also host 'Future Dust', a large-scale art work made from plastic debris cleaned from the over 40 beaches along the tidal River Thames by Maria Arceo as part of the @Thamesplastic project commissioned by Totally Thames 2017 which aims to raise awareness about plastic pollution in the river Thames.
Across the weekend
- Classic Boats: Climb on-board and explore over 40 vintage work boats and sailing and motor yachts including Dunkirk Little Ships and much more. 12:00 - 18:00 daily in the Central Basin.
- The Marketplace: Featuring organisations from the river, family activities, a food market and live entertainment. 12:00 – 18:00 daily on Marble Quay.
- Moo Canoes: Moo Canoes will be running taster canoeing sessions within the safety of our marina. 12:00 – 18:00 daily, 9th and 10th September.
- 'Future Dust', Plastic Art Piece: Since September 2016, Maria Arceo has been collecting plastic from over 40 beaches along the tidal Thames. Beachcombing, handpicking, identifying, and colour-coding found plastic debris, Arceo has created a final art piece that aims to visualise the scale of plastic litter that is found along the shores of the tidal river. The installation will be hosted at St. Katharine Docks throughout the Festival.
- Explorer Treasure Quest: Pick up a map and race to see who can complete the Explorer Treasure Quest in the quickest time! 12:00 – 18:00 daily, 9th and 10th September.
- Sharky & George Pirate Kids Club: The wonderful team from Sharky & George will provide a range of children's activities and crafts. 12:00 – 16:00 daily, 9th and 10th September on the Floating Pontoon, Central Basin.
- Barnet Hill Life Boat Crew Sea Shanty Singers: From 11am throughout the day, Various Locations
- The Great River Race: Head down to the Riverside and cheer on the 330 crews participating in London's River Marathon! 13:00 – 14:00
- Stand-up Paddle Boarding: Try the world's fastest growing watersport here at St. Katharine Docks with free taster sessions on the water. 12:00 – 18:00
- The National Youth Jazz Orchestra: 12:30 – 13:30 & 15:30 – 16:30, Marble Quay
Monday 16th October
The 2017 AGM will be held on Monday 16th October at 19.00 at The Dickens Inn. Notice of the meeting will be sent to all members in September.